Farmer's Market Grilled Pizza
One of our go to meals to make in the summertime is grilled pizza! We love experimenting with unique pairings and love how quickly it comes together. We make things extra simple by purchasing premade pizza dough! We'll definitely do a step by step post showing the steps in the future because it takes a bit of an assembly line. This post is a great how-to to get you started.
We usually use whatever we have on hand as pizza toppings and sometimes I'll get a small amount of freshly cut pepperoni from the deli counter. This particular grilled pizza combination was our favorite yet. It reminded us of all of the fresh farmer's market produce that makes this time of year so wonderful. The pairing tasted so fresh. Plus, it was the perfect opportunity to use up some leftover Trader Joe's pesto (our latest obsession)!
Refrigerated Pizza Dough
Pesto (we love Trader Joes' basil pesto)
Crumbled Cotija Cheese
Sliced Sweet Onion
Chopped Baby Bell Pepper
2 Ears of Sweet Corn
Butter & Seasoning for sauteeing Corn
1. Remove pizza dough from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before rolling it out
2. Flour your work space. Then, split the dough into two balls and roll out into a circle shaped crust around 1/4" thick.
3. Prep all of your ingredients. Over medium heat in our cast iron pan we charred sweet corn in butter & a lime and chile seasoning. Then, we added sliced onion and sauteed until carmelized. Finally, we added diced bell pepper. It's definitely not necessary to pre-cook the ingredients, but it's SO worth the extra effort.
4. Heat your grill to around 600 degrees (high heat!) and have your ingredients ready to go next to you, because you'll need them easily accessible. It also helps to have a grilling buddy!
5. Heat your grill to around 600 (high heat). Once it's hot, bush one side of the dough with olive oil and lay flat on grill. Once it starts bubbling and gets grill marks (usually around 2-3 minutes), use a tongs to flip it over.
6. Here is where you have to get VERY speedy. Use a spatula to brush on pesto (or tomato sauce!) then very quickly add your ingredients and shut the grill lid to let it all melt!
7. After the cheese gets nice and melty, use a tongs to transfer the pizza onto a plate. Give it a couple of minutes to cool down.. then enjoy your grilled pizza masterpiece!
If you end up making grilled pizza, let us know what ingredients you top yours with! We're always looking for fun new combinations to try.