Farm Fresh Rhubarb Mojito
This weekend marked our first trip to the Dane County Farmer's Market of the year. It just doesn't feel like the start of Spring until we spend a Saturday morning there. The farmer's market is one of my favorite parts of living in Madison (and a must-see if you ever come visit)! The entire capital square is lined with stands selling fresh produce, herbs, meat, and flowers!
My favorite treat is to stop and get an iced "magic coffee" from Graze's stand to walk around with. We weren't sure what would be available this trip, but it was the perfect excuse to spend a beautiful Saturday morning outdoors.
We ended up with a bunch of rhubarb, a mint plant, and some garlic dill cheese curds. We weren't sure what we were going to do with any of the above, but that's the beauty of a farmer's market! We ended up making a rhubarb simple syrup and making rhubarb mojitos for cocktail hour!
I had never really experienced rhubarb until I moved to the Midwest! Do they have it everywhere? It's one of the first things to sprout come Spring and can easily be confused with swiss chard if you're just looking at the stalks in your fridge (nope, just me?! haha). It's best when paired with sugar to make desserts (rhubarb crisp!) or sweet syrups (like the one we paired with our cocktail).
rhubarb simple syrup recipe
- 4 Stalks of Rhubarb (around 4 chopped cups)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Lemon (optional)
1. Add chopped rhubarb to a medium sized saucepan. Then, add in sugar, lemon juice, and water and stir well.
2. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then immediately reduce heat to a simmer .
3. Let the mixture simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
4. Take the mixture off the heat until cool.
5. Use a mesh strainer to filter out any stringy rhubarb bits and pour into a mason jar for storage.
6. Keep in refrigerator and use within 2 weeks.
The rhubarb simple syrup has the most beautiful pink hue and adds a bit of complexity to summer cocktails by combining the tarty and sweet flavors. Mojitos are one of my favorite drinks during warm months, and this one is definitely getting added to our repertoire!
Rhubarb Mojito Cocktail
- 1.5 Shots of Silver Rum
- SMALL BUNCH OF Mint Leaves (6-8)
- 2 Tbsp. Rhubarb Simple Syrup (see above)
- 1/2 Cup Club Soda
- Juice from 1/2 a Lime
1. In a glass, add mint leaves, lime juice, and simple syrup. Then, use a muddler or large wooden spoon to crush the mint.
2. Next, fill the glass with crushed ice
3. Pour rum & club soda over the ice and mix well.
4. Garnish with mint and lime wedge and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy these as much as we do!