10 Ways to Practice Positivity
Have you ever had one of those moments in life where everything seems to be going wrong? It might not be big things, just small annoyances and speed bumps that end up throwing you out of sync. I'm most often a positive person, but I'm also a worrier and get stressed out easily.
You know how waking up on "the wrong side of the bed in the morning" can ruin your whole day (guilty!)? The more I've read about maintaining a positive mindset, the more I've learned that you have to take it upon yourself to turn around. While you can't change the situation, you can change your outlook and the way you deal with things and process your emotions.
While this is something I'm always working on, I have a few ways that never fail to help put me in a sunny state of mind even on a bad day. I thought i'd share a few of my suggestions (and I'd love to hear what works for you too)!
10 WAYS TO PRACTICE POSITIVITY
1. Focus on the Good - Shifting your focus on what's going right instead of what's going wrong can totally change your outlook on a situation.
2. Treat Yourself - Something as small as a coffee from my favorite local cafe or picking up a book that's been on my wishlist for months is an instant day-maker.
3. Exercise - Exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy (Elle Woods anyone?). But seriously, a good barre class, or even a walk around the neighborhood release joy-inducing chemicals to your brain.
4. Be Grateful - Start a gratitude journal and jot down one thing your thankful for each day. Whenever you're feeling gloomy, take a look at it and remind yourself of all that you have to be grateful for.
5. Just Breathe - Often times when I'm stressed out it's because I just have entirely too much on my plate and am spreading myself too thin. Taking time to meditate or just close my eyes and breathe for 30 seconds helps me press reset.
6. Start a Morning Routine - Have you ever heard of the "Miracle Morning" routine? It's all about starting your day with a routine that starts your day off on a focused and positive note. I
7. Listen to a Happy Playlist - This always seems to do the trick for me. How can you possibly be grumpy listening to throwback 90's *NSYNC & Spice Girls?
8. Go Outside- Winters can be LONG in Wisconsin. By this time of year, I'm very tired of being cooped up inside. Upping your Vitamin D with some sunshine can transform your day. We're making plans to go camping and do some hiking as soon as the ground thaws.
9. Pick up the Phone- Calling my mom & catching up with my girlfriends makes me SO happy. There is something so uplifting about reconnecting and hearing what's new in each other's lives.
10. Spread the Joy- One of my favorite ways to practice positivity? Sharing it with others. Nothing makes me happier than being able to bring a smile to someone else's face. Whether it's a random act of kindness like paying for someone's coffee or sending just-because snail mail.
If you're having a tough day, I hope these tips help you turn things around!