Homemade Granola Recipe
Our weekday morning ritual is usually a cup of coffee and bowl of granola. A moment to press pause and spend a bit of time together before we start our busy days. We usually trade off and try new brands and flavors from the organic foods & pair with coconut milk. That is, until we recently discovered how delicious homemade granola can be!
I discovered a recipe from Jenny's Homemade With Love cookbook. It's been a perfect foundation for trying out different ingredients and combinations. I wanted to share my latest concoction & some ways to mix it up.
ADAPTED FROM THE HOMEMADE WITH LOVE COOKBOOK
3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sliced almonds / pecans
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup diced dried apple slices
pumpkin seeds - raisins - coconut - peanut butter chips - cacao nibs
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl combine oats, olive oil, maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts. (hold off on adding in any dried fruit until after baking)
2. Mix well and spread evenly in one layer on a rimmed baking sheet
3. Bake for 40 minutes or until granola is crisp and golden.
4. Once granola cools, transfer to a large bowl. Combine any additional ingredients that may melt in the oven (i.e. dried fruit / chocolate / peanut butter chips).
5. Store in an airtight container & eat within 7-10 days.
My favorite part about this recipe is that it can be made with so many different ingredients. Every batch can be different. Craving something tropical? Try adding coconut & dried pineapple. Missing fall? Add pumpkin pie spice to the mix. I just love experimenting with different combinations. This also makes a thoughtful (& affordable) holiday gift. Store the granola in a mason jar and tying up with ribbon and a homemade label!